Monday, September 14, 2009

To Seek Difference

Exams in my secondary school were always stressful and so unpleasant that I have never tried to recall them again. There is but one English exam that I shall not forget, because I developed one of my key principles from it, which also contributes to who I am now.

It was the essay part of an English exam. I was in a desperate attempt to write an impressive ending sentence that would hopefully flatter my whole writing. Just before time was up, I wrote, “…because tomorrow never dies.” Very well. This is supposed to be meaningful because people like to use it.

When I got the exam paper back, I did not see a lengthy comment. The teacher who marked my paper just underlined my last sentence and wrote, in red, “Avoid cliché”; as if that was the whole point she wanted to make me see. It is curious that it was actually the first time I really understood the word “cliché”. The ending sentence suddenly looked grotesque to me. The essay would have been better off without it, but that was not a big deal any more. My important realization was that I did not use my own brain when I should have. I was being lazy and repeated a sentence that was already chewed at least a million times by others. It should be meaningless by now, because people’s ears are no more sensitive to it. How ridiculous that I thought it could be flattering to my writing, which at least had some originality!

I appreciate the teacher’s sharpness. It does not matter much how profound my writing is, how many decorative vocabularies I acquire, and how beautiful each sentence sounds. What matters is whether I can express my own ideas in a smooth and original way, and avoid any unnecessary addition borrowed from somewhere that is neither matching nor creative.

Now I am majoring in science, a field that requires me to regenerate creativity. It is difficult to achieve this goal, but a good exercise for the brain is to explore possible variations of a fine original concept. Giving each variation a distinct personal touch, even the abandoned one, is less inferior to an idea that has been already used by others repeatedly.

Be bold, and seek difference. That is what I believe in and that makes who I am today.

[Language Problem Edited: Sep 19,8:15pm ]

4 comments:

  1. Being original is so hard today, when everything under the sun has been done before.

    Quoting famous lines isn't always a bad thing. It's a good way to show people that, hey, a famous guy/gal thinks the same as I do too. As long as it's relevant, of course. You didn't mention the topic of the essay, so I'm a bit curious about it. Was the line you added completely irrelevant to the topic? Or was it relevant, but your teacher simply felt that it was overused?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this statement, Dongfang. It shows a certain sensitivity and provides an insight in a simple way. It also tells something important about you. Yes indeed!

    Here are a few areas that you could improve:

    1) ...unpleasant that I never tried to recall them again. >> ..so unpleasant that I have never tried to recall them again.

    2) ...I developed my principle > I have developed one of my key principles

    3) ...also makes who I am now. >>> also contributes to who I am now

    4) ...the word, “cliché”. >>> the word “cliché."

    5) The essay would be better off without it... >>> The essay would have been better off without it...

    6) a distinct personal touch, even the abandoned one is... >>> a distinct personal touch, even the abandoned one, is

    7) that was already used >>> that has been already used

    Thank you for the fine personal statement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dongfang

    Your personal statement has a refreshing persepective that I have yet to come across in any of the blog posts. Being bold and daring to transcend boundaries and break through conventions that seem set in stone is something not easy to do. I admire you for your dare-to-try spirit. You have illustrated the origin of this quality in a captivating manner that entices the reader to read on. Thank you for a great post! (:

    Cheers
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,

    The first thought when I finished this post is that "hey, I was really using a lot of clique in secondary and high school." I would be the middle man who won't either agree and disagree with using of clique. It also depends on how you use it as well.

    Just a little thing in my my. Alright, get down to the personal statement itself.

    Personally, I like your characteristic, your willingness of making changes and trying new things. I am not so sure, but I just think of a sentence in your post that is "I was being lazy and repeated a sentence that was already chewed at least a million times by others". Should we replace the word "chew" by a more formal word. :) . just a little suggestion from me.

    I enjoy your post that much. I did not know that you're stronger than you look like. the post did make me understand you more.

    Thanks and a nice recess week ahead.

    Jake

    ReplyDelete